3 years ago I have started a retrofit to my now 10 years old overhead panel. I continued now with the fuel panel, therefore it had to be cut of all of the wiring and rewire it to add backlight and a new gauge from Tom customsimparts.com.
Another step for more reality 🙂
Next on the plan: The power Source Panel with an updated APU gauge.
My latest addition to the flightdeck are Seatbelts for the Captains and FO seat. The seatbelts are from cleartosim in Spain. Great contact, provided a lot of info in the pre-sales progress and fast shipping.
Installing them in the correct way was not that complicated.
I removed the back cover and mounted the shoulder part with the already existing bolts of the seat. Some small additions need to be done to the FO seat, as this was my prototype 😉
For the side parts I have drilled new holes and mounted them on the seat.
Looks now better, feels better and a next step to more reality in the flightdeck.
During my last flights I got asked by an Instagram follower why my flightdeck is so dark when flying in daylight (in the Simulator).
I really never gave a thought on this. But as I started thinking about the question I also had (couple of minutes later) an idea how to solve it.
You have to know that my flightdeck is located in the basement of our house. Therefore its darker, as only one window is installed in the room (it was intended to be dark, as it was planned during house planning and building that the flightdeck will be there).
But to overcome the issue during day flights I have started to install a dim able LED strip on the captains window, below the MIP and on the first officer window. It is regulated via a dimmer manually to match the current scenery daylight.
To get this done some work needed to be done to make sure that the light will not blend in the face. So I attached some painted wooden bars on the MIP structure.
The LED strips need to be cut and re-soldered to have one strip run throught the whole flightdeck.
Today,10 years ago, I finished the work on the first LED lights.
From there – the Overhead in small.
to here – a full size fixed simulator.
During the 10 years of building I learnt a lot, especially that behind of those are always computers and software which can and will always have issues. Broken CPU coolers, crashed HDDs, performance issues with the application, network issues, etc.
But, if all is working as it should be, it all makes huge fun to run such a simulator. In the last 3 years I was more focused on getting things “as real as it gets”. So I invested a lot of my time to record, cut and edit cabin announcements to make them sound good in my setup.
A lot of thanks goes to my father, without him and his knowledge of building and forming wood, it would not be possible. Danke Papa 🙂
I created a short video which takes us through 10 years of cockpit building.
A couple months ago I had to change the potentiometer of the tiller, because is was defect. After a couple of flights I noticed that the steering drags to the left and does not center. So the first impression was that the potentiometer or the input card has an issue. But after some hours of trying to fix it, it got clear that it is a full mechanical issue.
I removed the Tiller handle and during that process the locker mechanism got destroyed… So I had to replace it with a 4mm screw (left).
And on the other side the locking mechanism was not strong enough to hold on to the potentiometer shaft. I removed the screw, drilled a hole in the shaft and reattached the screw, which is now holding the shaft tight.
After some stationary tests I have reassembled it. Now it works perfect and is finally fixed.